1.09.2014

Layered Love


Like my awkward selfie?
Due to this bitch called a polar vortex that's been sucking the sun out of January (not that there was much of it here to begin with), it's been cold. More than cold, it's been some-parts-of-Alaska-are-warmer-than-here-right-now cold. So, nodding my head to my favorite inspiration drawers from The Man Repeller (which you can visit here), I'm going to break down the layering process on MY Forecast (because the real weather forecasters are pissing me off).

Although I loved Leandra Medine's break down of layering, I'm not going to be convincing you to pair black ankle socks with white Manolo Blahniks even if you really, REALLY want to pull off a Carrie Bradshaw. This is layering for the girls who walk outside day after day in a sweatshirt because that must obviously be warm... and I definitely did not do that once this week and I definitely did not look like an idiot much less freeze my ass off.

So, let's start with the bottoms (because its cold to walk around in your room only wearing underwear and a t-shirt). Obviously due to this weather I would choose some trousers of substance, cough cough NOT leggings. Jeans of any magical hue will do, leather works, corduroys are cozy; you get me? Pick your pants and move on.

Now, this is the part where your blood temperature comes into call. Are you a naturally warm blooded person (LOL because we all are) or are you like me, naturally inclined to shiver even in seventy-five degree weather? If you usually find yourself warm enough just wearing a long sleeve shirt and sweater, then I would tell you to choose a short sleeve anything for this layer. A collar of some sort looks best, however... Have any old short sleeve polos? Now is your opportunity to dust them off and pull 'em on (and don't worry, nobody will see how dorky you actually look because you'll be wearing more layers over the polo). OR.... if you're like me and need the extra layer, you have some more options. Turtleneck? Swag (never thought you'd hear 'turtleneck' and 'swag' in the same sentence before, did you?). Peter Pan collars? Yes please. Pilgrim collars of epic proportions? Ye rock on. Go crazy and take your pick.

My first layer for this outfit is a denim chambray sleeveless button down.
Now, top it off with something else. This layer depends though on what you chose for your first layer. Still with me? If you decided to say "YOLO" and wear a turtleneck, now is your chance to throw a flannel or cotton button down over it. Did you choose a layer with a huge collar as your first layer? Grab a sweater and make that collar pop. (I'm basically trying to say that if you chose a button down/polo/flannel for your first layer, you can't wear another button down/polo/flannel over the first one... or you can, whatever dude, to each his own.)
Layer #2: Old white sweater over denim button down.

So now you have two layers. If you started with a turtleneck and have since put a flannel/button down over it, you can pick a sweater at layer #3! Or... if you started with a button down (like my outfit recreation), and have already put a sweater over it, you can choose a jacket for layer #3! So many exciting choices, huh? And if you went the first route, turtleneck + button down + sweater, you can still put a jacket over that!!! Crazy, I know.

I know, I know... more denim. But how can you say no to an awesome jean jacket?
So, if you have layered so many pieces that you can barely move your arms anymore, you've got it! The object is basically trying to get you to look like Randy in the movie A Christmas Story (watch the clip from the movie here). When you fall down and can't get up, know that you've achieved total fashion warmth and your winter won't get any better than this. I hope this layering lesson has helped some of you learn to fight the cold the fabulous way, sans-hoodies and thermals. And don't forget to check out The Man Repeller also, for more fashion tips and tricks!

P.S.- add a scarf when venturing outdoors. It ties together the outfit and helps increase your body's inner thermometer's temperature!

2 comments: