6.30.2013

Welcome to Summer Camp

Inspired by the Urban Outfitters Blog post about the Best Summer Camp Movies (found here), I thought that I should add and contribute to the list with my own summer favorites. My fav's are a little less campy and with a bit less Bill Murray- but let's be honest, everyone loves Bill Murray so we'll be a bit sad to see him go..





Moonrise Kingdom
Agree 100% with Urban on this one. If you want to get lost on the Island of New Penzance with young lovers,Suzy and Sam, you need to watch this movie! And if the whimsical, far-fetched plot isn't for you, then just obsess over the clothing, cinematography, and musical stylings! If you didn't love the movie, you at least have to give credit to Wes Anderson and the Moonrise crew for the amazing location, costumes, and soundtrack.



The Parent Trap (1998)
Admit it girls, you wanted to be Lindsay Lohan when you were little (now, maybe not so much). The Parent Trap was one of my absolute favorite movies when I was little. Two twins separated near birth and then finding each other at the coolest girls summer camp ever? Sign me up! The trouble and chaos the twins get into throughout the whole movie are hilarious and so badass. This movie will definitely spark a little mayhem in you this summer.




Jaws
If you're easily scared by 1975 robotic sharks, do not read any further. (I don't blame you though, after seeing this when I was little I wouldn't even go swimming in a pool...)Jaws is the classic summer time movie, a little scary but also captures the essence and joy of summer perfectly at the small island community of Amity.




Grease
If you haven't seen Grease, you're living your life wrong. It's probably the best musical movie of all time, set in a time period of awesome cars and bizarre hair do's. And I mean c'mon, there's a song called "Summer Nights" in it.




The Shining
It really shouldn't be a summer movie since the main character goes crazy during a snowstorm and ends up freezing to death... but somehow it is and I always watch this psychological horror during the summer time.




Ferris Bueller's Day Off
My all-time favorite movie. There's just so much awesomeness and youth wrapped into one hilarious movie. I wish I had a real life Ferris Bueller to pull me out of school and dance on parade floats.




The Notebook
I don't want to get all sappy and romantic, but The Notebook truly is one of the best love stories ever. It hasn't made me cry yet, but I know tons of you will sob when you watch this summer romance film. (And bonus, Ryan Gosling shirtless? Yes please!)



The Sandlot
This movie is the essence of being a kid during the hot summers. Its a classic and a popular favorite for many generations. Plus, you learn a lot about growing up while staying true to yourself and your pals.



Addams Family Values
I really don't get why I think that this is such a great movie. My younger brother and I used to watch it over and over and over again. The main reason why it's a summer movie is because the kids, Wednesday and Pugsly, get sent to summer camp and reign terror over their fellow campers and peppy counselors. 



Adventureland
The summer of 1987 at a trashy amusement park with a bunch of nobodies. Sounds horrible, right? Well the movie is great. Soul-searching while getting high and trying to find love were never so sarcastically put together until now.




Superbad
You've never seen so much teenage male awkwardness until now. On the hunt for booze to impress the ladies that they love, two best friends (and the infamous McLovin) find themselves in some... uncomfortable situations




(500) Days of Summer
Glances of one romance and its up's and down's. (500) Days of Summer will make you cry, laugh, dance, and find hope for a better Autumn. (Kudos to whoever picked out the awesome soundtrack to this movie.)




Stand By Me
This movie makes you recognize how hilarious and loyal true friendship actually is. An oldie- but definitely a goodie- is one of my family's favorite summer movies. After buying it on DVD years ago, my brother brings it out every year for the entire family to watch again. (Be prepared to laugh until it hurts and cry until you run out of tissues.)



Sixteen Candles
If this doesn't make you realize how much better your own family is, or how you really, really want a romantic boyfriend- then I have nothing more to tell you. Sixteen Candles is the classic Molly Ringwald movie that every girl (and boys- you could definitely learn a few pointers) needs to see.




Midnight in Paris
Ater seeing this, not only did I want to visit Paris more than ever, but I wished I could have lived during the 1920s, or Roaring Twenties as it is so aptly referred to as. (If you're not into the modern day and 1920s mix, don't see the newest adaption of The Great Gatsby.)




The Descendants
The title gives off a weird, maybe scary idea (the first thing I thought was descendants of aliens or something weird) but its actually a really amazing movie about an incredibly relatable family and the struggles they go through. Surprisingly, my brother and I liked this one even more than my parents for some reason though. 




Happy summer everyone, catch up on your movies!! Any other movie suggestions or flicks I missed? Comment or email! xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment