3.31.2014

Dallas


In a land of bottle blondes, fake boobs, and self tanner- I found myself surprisingly at home. Maybe it's my natural love for anyplace warmer than this New Jersey winter we're having, or maybe I really enjoyed seeing college guys dressed in total frat guy prep... either way, if you don't see me in the dirty Jerz, its because I've moved to Dallas.

Aside from cowboy boots of multiple hues and styles, there were several huge trends that I noticed. Like any major metropolis home to many different walks of life, the styles vary and range depending on who you are... but there are a few trends that reappear again and again.




















The Side Boob
I don't know how this even works or why some girls think this is a cute look, but the majority of your boob hanging out on the side of your dress or shirt is not "sexy". Frankly, it made me lose my appetite seeing you yank up your whole boob when you thought no one was watching to create the "perky" effect. I've seen this look at concerts with a ripped muscle tee tucked into high waisted shorts- it's bad enough then but doing it with could-have-been cute dresses just takes it to a whole different level. I'm really considering walking up to the next girl with her boob hanging out and asking her how she deals with yanking the duct tape off at the end of the night instead of purchasing a bandeau like the rest of the human race (err, feminine race).

Silk Rompers
Granted, not all made out of real silk, but the flowy could-be-a-dress-but-actually-a-romper made an appearance many times throughout my visit. I LOVE THIS LOOK! Rompers can seriously work anything. My cousin wore a printed romper with a knit swear thrown over it and sandals, and the next night I spotted several long sleeve rompers paired with heels and statement jewelry. So versatile, so cute, so easy (except when peeing, then you have to take off your whole romper which is a hassle but so it goes, beauty is pain). Great rompers can be found from Free People, Anthropologie, Nasty Gal, and Urban Outfitters.




















Loose Curls
I think this must be a Southern girls' ode to Taylor Swift, but regardless, the thick, loose curls were all the rage. I wishhhhh my hair would hold curls better because I would definitely try to rock this look. I love the flouncy curls that make any outfit look cuter and more feminine. If anyone has a great tutorial or secret on how to achieve these great curls, drop some knowledge in the comments section below, por favor.

Weather Confusion
This isn't a trend, more of an observation. Texas springs can be very bipolar, one day it's rainy and cold, the next day its about 80 degrees and sunny. There were a wide mix of styles because of this. Around the college campuses and local hangouts, most people opted for summery clothing and freshly sprayed tans. In other parts, however, I saw Ugg boots and North Face jackets! If I lived in Texas and there was an inkling of warmth, I would go with it fully. Who wants to walk around sweating in fur and fleece, anyway?

Cross your fingers I convince my family to move to Dallas....y'all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment