12.27.2013

Teenage Years are Forever


The way teenagers, myself being a victim to this disease, view the world is in a permenant state. We believe that our formative years will determine our future epically. And we don't realize that hey, maybe the boy you date in high school won't dictate other people's perception of you until you die (shocker, I know).
I was flipping through photographer Petra Collins' spread called "The Teenage Gaze" and I recognized deep emotions on the models' faces that I've seen time and time again across the sea of faces that exist within the walls of my high school.


Faces longing for acceptance. Hoping for love, friendship, and this thing called "fun" that their parents claimed high school was. 


Faces of giving up, loneliness, and the everlasting weariness that comes with being a teenager today.


Faces of competition, jealousy, and betrayal. Common girl-on-girl faces even with the closest of friends.


Faces filled with tears, bloodshot eyes, and running makeup. The saddest face of defeat is when it's seen by everyone. 


I also love how Petra Collins included photographs of small moments that packed so much emotion. The above photograph displaying "Mommy" calling displayed the constant pull and push of growing adulthood and desire for freedom but also still realizing how much of a child you are still in your teenage years.


I'm so glad that I came across "The Teenage Gaze", it sums up teenage years pretty well in just a few photographs, and it helped me string together my thoughts about high school. Whoever told you that high school is the best years of your life, they were lying. I don't care if it was your mom or a recent graduate, high school is not the best years of your life. The best years of your life are up to you to decide. The best years of your life are based on your own accomplishments, not the recent accomplishments of the football team. But I also have to say, that although I'm talking down about high school and the golden teenage years, there is also fun, love, and life. You just have to find it. Your fun may be different from your best friend's, but don't dismiss your ideas just because it doesn't go along with everyone else's. Find your fun, find your love, and discover life. It may be in the places you never expected.


*All photographs belong to Petra Collins, you can find The Teenage Gaze here.*

No comments:

Post a Comment